Manchester United’s senior star have reportedly expressed major concerns to the board over their decision to place Michael Carrick in temporary charge.
The Red Devils are beginning the complicated process of finding a new manager. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer parted ways with the club on Sunday morning, his exit coming as no surprise given the way results had badly slipped.
Indeed, a 4-1 humiliation at Watford proved the final straw, although the United legend was at least granted a dignified exit in an emotional goodbye interview.
The process of recruiting a new boss looks a complicated one. To start with, however, Carrick has been placed in temporary charge and he will take the reins for Tuesday’s Champions League clash at Villarreal.
And should the match in Spain go well, Carrick could well take charge until the end of the season.
That said, reports on Monday morning claim first choice Mauricio Pochettino could quit PSG to take charge with immediate effect. However, a summer appointment looks far more likely given Paris themselves would need time to find a successor.
As such, there are claims that Carrick could take the job until the season is out. However, with that comes another potentially big bump in the road lying ahead.
That’s with the Daily Mail reporting senior stars at United are opposed to Carrick taking charge, albeit in a temporary basis. They state that senior players in the squad are concerned that very little will change under Carrick.
Indeed, there is a ‘belief’ among stars that United are partially in the mess they are in because of a lack of direction from Carrick and (assistant first-team coach) Kieran McKenna.
Both men are, of course, young coaches still learning their trade. However, there’s a suggestion that neither have the experience to guide United through a difficult spell. Furthermore, United’s squad stars reportedly fear that they will remain stuck in a rut, with no fresh ideas brought to the table.
Indeed, the report claims United’s players feel they need fresh direction from a new coach. As such, they are said to favour a new temporary name being brought in to see about a change. To that end, reports claim Laurent Blanc could be brought back on a temporary basis.
The Frenchman, 56, previously managed Bordeaux, France and PSG. He is currently in charge at Qatar side Al-Rayyan after being appointed in 2020.
Blanc has connections at Old Trafford after seeing out his playing days with the club. He enjoyed a successful two-year stint between 2001-03 for the Red Devils, so understands the club.
The likes of Steve Bruce and Wayne Rooney are also being touted as prospective candidates for the interim role.
- A TeamTalk report